Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: The Year in Review

I know, I haven't posted in a long time. Like, since August. Sorry. (That's to myself.) Let's just say it's been crazy busy around here. It makes me feel slightly better and also worse that I have started writing at least 3 other posts but haven't had time to finish them. So this post is going to be a hunker-down, get-it-done, not word-smithed-to-death kind of post. Hopefully you'll all forgive me (i.e., I'll forgive myself). 

Dan: 
Let's see, Dan got to go to Riviera Maya for work (what a freakin' joke) in March while I stayed home with then-16 month old Luke while 4 months pregnant with Jack. If you know me at all you know I LOVE to travel, especially to beaches. I haven't been on an airplane since before Luke was born. This should explain my displeasure with this trip. Also, and I really hate to admit this, but Dan is super helpful with the kids. He's an asset to have around. Please don't tell him I think so. I don't want him getting too cocky.

Dan re-enrolled at Northern Illinois University this fall. Most people probably don't know he's still trying to finish his Bachelor's degree after his C-U-Next-Tuesday ex-wife basically forced him to quit. It might take him 5 years to get it done, but he will finish this time. His current wife (that'd be me) would rather see us go into debt than not have him earn that degree. It will happen.

Dan got a promotion this year, and that's great news for his career path as well as our bank account. I'm super proud of him. 

I think the best thing that happened to Dan - and our entire family - this year was that he quit drinking. Long time coming. Greatest decision ever. Enough said.

Luke:
Oh my little Lukey. He's 2. If you have ever had a 2 year old you understand what that means. This morning I forgot and flushed the toilet myself, and he lost his shit.

Speaking of feces, Luke is rounding out the year by completing potty training boot camp. This is a rip off the bandaid approach a la no more diapers, period. He's making it in the toilet about 80% of the time.  We'll get there. (Big shout out to Dee and Linds for helping me with the method and being there for my, "I'm the worst parent in the world!" moments.)

Jack:
My sweet baby J. He came into this world on a Friday the 13th. This had more ramifications for me than him, but it was apropos. Nevertheless, he is a wonderful baby... which in my book means he's a good sleeper! He's super happy and smiley and so so sweet. I feel awful that he's our second child and that our first is in such a high-needs phase. Poor Jack doesn't get near enough attention. It's part of my 2013 resolutions.

Me:
Well, I had a baby, lost a uterus and an ovary, became an "aunt" to sweet baby Ella, quit my job and stay at home with my kids, and I've made some new friends out here in N'ville (you know who you are, and I love you!). I think that really sums up what's gone on with me!

I know in this blog I complain a lot about being a busy mother and wife. Yesterday, while near a mental breakdown due to potty training stress, I realized there are 26 families in Newtown, Connecticut who would give anything to have that stress. I can't really say any more about that tragedy because I still cry at just the mention of it. But those 26 angels have made me realize that every day with Dan and our two little miracles is a gift. In 2013 I'm going to try to be A LOT more grateful for my family and friends. 

But I'm still going to be a little snarky in this blog.

Wishing you and your family a blessed 2013!



~Cin


1 comment:

  1. I love reading about what you are up to these days and being reminded of what it's like to have little ones. Enjoy every precious moment! Thanks for sharing.
    Lori Stack

    ReplyDelete